Strengthening the role of parliamentarians in ensuring the effectiveness of development resources in support of the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals
At the GOPAC Global Conference in Yogyakarta, Indonesia in October 2015, GOPAC launched a project in partnership with the Islamic Development Bank (ISDB) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to explore the role of parliamentarians in ensuring the effectiveness of development resources towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. We are currently developing a parliamentary handbook on the role of Parliament in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The handbook will set out concrete opportunities for parliamentarians to promote development effectiveness and support effective SDGs implementation. It will illustrate effective approaches with practical examples of how these parliamentarians have engaged in such work already, with particular focus on the Arab and Southeast Asian regions.
First Pilot Workshop: “Development Effectiveness to Implement the SDGs”
Jakarta, Indonesia – 30-31 August 2016
To ensure that the Handbook of the project provides practical guidance for parliamentarians, it will be piloted with members through a workshop in Jakarta, Indonesia from 30 to 31 August 2016. The participants ranging from Members or Parliament from Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Myanmar), South Asia (Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) and Morocco, as well as other stakeholders from government institutions, civil society, and academia. Building on feedback and learning during these workshops, the Handbook will be amended to ensure that it most effectively serves the needs of parliamentarians, prior to its official launch at the end of the year.
To further benefit GOPAC members participating in the Indonesia workshop, the workshop will also be used to discuss the elaboration of a South Asian Parliamentarians Against Corruption (SAPAC) and Southeast Asian Parliamentarians Against Corruption (SEAPAC) Regional Chapter Action Plan to guide the chapters’ activities in this area and identify needs and methods to strengthen parliamentarians’ functions in the oversight of development funds, implementation, and monitoring of the SDGs regionally.
Kindly find the agenda here.
GOPAC members and delegates of this workshop adopted the “Jakarta Declaration,” which lays out parliament’s commitments for the coming years in ensuring the effectiveness of SDGs implementation. Find the full declaration here.
Listed below are archived materials from the Jakarta SDGs Workshop. Click on each links to access any materials that were presented by speakers and panelists.
- Opening Remarks by Hon. Fadli Zon (GOPAC Chair)
- Closing Remarks by Hon. Fadli Zon (GOPAC Chair)
- Keynote Speech by Prof. Bambang Brodjonegoro (Minister of National Development Planning, the Republic of Indonesia)
- Prof. Bambang Brodjonegoro, Indonesian Minister of Development Planning
- Charmaine Rodrigues, GOPAC Consultant
- Doina Ghimici, Regional Governance Advisor of UNDP Regional Hub
- Agus Rahardjo, Chair of Indonesian Anti-Corruption Commission
- Kitti Wasinondh, Chairman of Thailand Parliament Sub-Committee on ASEAN and Regional Cooperation
- Sugeng Bahagijo, Executive Director of International NGO Forum on Indonesian Development
- Legislation Committee, Indonesian House of Representatives (only available in Bahasa Indonesia)
- SDGs Task Force, Indonesian House of Representatives (only available in Bahasa Indonesia)
Join the conversation on our social media channels and spread the words through #ParlSDGs